PTI grants provide an opportunity to initiate working partnerships and demonstrate successful collaborative efforts such as the development of permanent funding sources for Weed Management Areas. To be competitive, a project must:
- prevent, manage, or eradicate invasive and noxious plants through a coordinated program of public/private partnerships; and
- increase public awareness of the adverse impacts of invasive and noxious plants.
- Focus on a particular well-defined area, such as a watershed, ecosystem, landscape, county or Weed Management Area.
- Target a specific and measurable conservation outcome.
- Are supported by private landowners, state and local governments, and the regional/state offices of federal agencies.
- Have a project Steering Committee composed of local cooperators who are committed to working together to manage invasive and noxious plants across their jurisdictional boundaries.
- Have a clear long-term weed management plan which is based on an integrated pest management approach using the principles of ecosystem management.
- Include a specific, ongoing, and adaptive public outreach and education component.
- Address invasive species threats impacting one of the NFWF Keystone Initiative focal topics including for example:
• Prairie Couteau Grasslands (Wildlife and Habitat)
• Sky Islands Grasslands (Wildlife and Habitat)
• Gunnison sage-grouse (Birds)
• Southeastern Grasslands (Birds)
• Seabirds (Birds)
• Shortgrass Prairie (Birds)
• Colorado River Fishes (Fish)
- Address invasive plant management through an Early Detection/Rapid Response approach.
PTI Applicants must complete the online pre-proposal application form at www.nfwf.org/grantapplication
The pre-proposal form deadline is June 30, 2009.
Applicants that are invited to submit a full proposal will receive instructions via e-mail for accessing the full proposal form. Full proposals are due on September 30, 2009.
- June 30, 2009 • Pre-proposal deadline.
- September 30, 2009 • Full proposal deadline.
- January 29, 2010 • Formal announcement of award recipients.